Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Déclaration de principe

When I was considering starting a blog, I began thinking about all the things I felt like writing about. I came up with quite a substantial list of a wide variety of things which seemed to widely cover the four pillar taboos: sex, politics, money and religion. Of course I'll inevitably end up writing about light issues such as artistic matters or even maybe the weather. But most of what I had already written, through comments and the like, orientated around the more meatier issues.

In reading a lot of other blogs or sites they commonly seemed to take on some sort of cause or focus issue. The remainder were generally of a personal nature, relating day to day experiences. I've tried keeping a personal blog before but didn't really find myself being self obsessed enough to maintain it. Equally I couldn't come up with anything that stood out as a key issue for me either. I think it comes down the fact that I rarely see things in black & white and so find it quite difficult to 'pick sides' or chose a 'label'. So this may turn out to be a Seinfieldish blog about nothing.

If I absolutely had to chose some sort of ideal to get behind it would probably involve something like "balance" or "moderate" or the ideal that there are no bad ideas, only bad ways to use them. I guess it comes down to the notion that this blog, and the comments I make around the place are as much about finding faults with my own reasonings and learning from others as it is about expressing my own points of view.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write with a calm considered but by no means staid manner - I'm looking forward to hearing about the meatier issues, (and also the weather if thats whats on your mind.)
I found it hard to actually start too.
But now we both have...

Desipis said...

The way I write is a reflection of how I live, rarely stirred but always thinking. Usually when I am stirred it's the result of some intellectual curiosity, and on occasion someone may manage to stir me in a different way.

As much as I think my intellectual curiosities provided the fuel, I think it was something else that provided the spark needed to start this blog.

Hrmm, more fire analogies.