Thursday, January 17, 2008

Confort matériels

I was greeted with a strange scene this morning, when I stumbled upon my house mate sound asleep in front of a blaring tv, rolled up in a blanket with the AC blasting full ball. It's amazing what people will to do achieve the level of comfort they need to get some sleep. When I was younger I used to sleep with my fan on while I slept under a sheet or blanket. It seems that its not the fact that we are warm, but the act of keeping warm that creates a sense of comfort. I guess it's the same way being inside and dry while it pours down rain outside creates such a cozy atmosphere. Something to do with a (false) sense of security from the elements that we're somewhat programmed to protect ourselves from. The development of behavioral traits to deal with an obsolete genetic adaption probably occurs well before the genetic adaption disappears.

I find that the more effort I spent trying to explain things I see in life, the more questions I find. And the more my brain hurts. The limits of my rather human intellect are quite frustrating, which is probably why I get such a sense of enjoyment out of debating issues with others. Our collective intellect has so much more potential to learn. And I like learning. I'm weird like that.

No comments: